Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Bands I used to hate...

There have been a few bands that I hated so adamantly, that it took me years to wake up and appreciate them. Each of these bands was a pretty big plate of crow, but here's why I hated them and why I changed my mind.

  • Grateful Dead - Linda used to threaten me with having to listen to the Dead (I countered by threatening to play Napalm Death). I hated the whole neo-hippie thing that exploded after the success of "Touch of Gray" and I hated the drug culture thing. Then I started to realize that there's a lot more to deadhead culture than just drugs. For instance, the Dead are one of the few big bands who allow taping of shows. Once I got over the culture thing, I realized that the Dead might be the best example of American music out there. A deep knowledge of music, particularly traditional music, that elludes most bands permeates their music. I'm still not a huge fan, but I do listen occasionally and Linda can no longer use it as a threat.

  • The Cure - Robert Smith is whiney and over-dramatic. A lot of the Cure's fans seem emulate that. They get under my skin. Eventually, I gave in a little and admitted that the Cure were "important," but I still couldn't stomach them. Then I finally broke down and listened to Disintegration. Who was I to argue? If over-dramatic whining produces that, I can live with it.

  • Fleetwood Mac - I never minded the old blues rock Fleetwood Mac that was dominated by Peter Green, Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer , but I hated the later Buckingham/Nicks dominated stuff. Maybe I'd heard the hits too many times, I dunno. Anyway, Chuck finally convinced me to give Fleetwood Mac and Rumours another chance. Once again, I was just plain wrong. Those albums are full of good songs, so much so that Stevie Nicks terrible voice doesn't even bother me.

  • Limp Bizkit - I'm only kidding! They suck.


So, the lesson here is to avoid painting yourself into a corner, especially if your objection is based on something silly (like my issues with the Dead or the Cure).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you still have the Stones and AC/DC to wrinkle your nose at.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Nobody was as shocked as me to be into The Cure when I finally did. I remember in HS, but I can't remember who it was, pressured me as a headbanger to listen to The Cure and I held out for a long time until I couldn't take it any longer. When I listened to this album, I was irritated, pissy and unwilling to dig it. I did play it all the way through and counted the songs to let the dude know I'd given it a fair shake, but that I was apalled by it. He was okay that I'd listened to it at least.

Flash forward to 1989 when I was in college and The Cure's Disintegration suddenly burst out of nowhere like a countercultural beacon. I was flabbergasted that I dug it, but it was also after I'd been forced to expand my tastes for my music column. My then-friend Jason seized the moment and put the entire Cure catalog into my mits at that time and I was stunned to realize how much I was into them.

The biggest irony to me about The Cure, aside from the fact that I dated a doofus girl who "loved Robert Smith as a father figure" was the fact that my favorite Cure album is the one that guy in HS made me listen to: Head on the Door. Very interesting it turned out that way...

As for bands I hated once and came around to later, the easiest examples for me are Zeppelin and Rush, whom I considered to be redneck rock. If I had any real prejudices once, it was against rednecks. Time heals all wounds, though, doesn't it? I had immense satisfaction at seeing Rush live outdoors last year, definitely a highlight in my concertgoing experiences...again, what irony...

And Limp Bizkit? Yeah, fuck 'em.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home