Sunday, April 15, 2007

Review: The Charms - So Pretty

Label: Red Car Records (available through Cd baby)

Released: 2004

I picked this one up for $5 after hearing a Charms track (not from this album) on Little Steven's Underground Garage. I'm guessing the track I heard was newer and that the band has grown a good bit since this one was released.

The first thing that struck me about this six track EP was that I'd heard it before. Only last time the band was Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Seriously, the first two tracks could be right off of Bad Reputation. By the time I got to track four, the Charms had laid off the Joan Jett and decided to do a cover. Ah, "Sweet Jane," nice. But this song is called "Candy." What's up? Oh, I was wrong, it's their own song, they only stole the good parts from "Sweet Jane." My bad. Finally, just after the halfway mark, the Charms give me something of what I expected. "So Pretty" is a raw, but catchy garage rocker with a nice dose of organ. The EP finishes up with a pair of non-descript tracks that at least aren't a complete rip-off of someone else's sound, but I'm actually thinking I like the Joan Jett stuff it started off with better.

I still have to go back and look up that track Little Steven played. Maybe I'll try a newer release rather than the cheapest one. I guess sometimes you get what you pay for.

Rating: 4/10

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

I listened to this with you and it was okay, but to be fair, I don't like the same things in music that you do. I probably would not choose to listen to the album again, on my own. Overall, I thought they were pretty unoriginal.

That "Candy" song was so ripped off, that I am surprised that there has not been a lawsuit.

10:01 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

There was probably no law suit, because there was no money to be made on it. I don't think So Pretty sold a ton of copies. It's definitely a rip-off though, because everything that's good about it, they stole from Lou Reed.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I remember you talking about this album. I've only heard the one song repeatedly on Underground Garage, think it's decent, but nothing that made me scamper to get it. I'm sure I'll delay it even longer now!

10:03 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I wish this one was more like the song on UG. I liked that one, but this older release wasn't of the same quality. If you were only mildly impressed with that one, I'd steer clear of So Pretty.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I'll take your advice and plow on with other things like that Joe Lally album. I really like it.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home