Monday, June 04, 2007

Review: Time Again - The Stories are True

Label: Hellcat Records

Released: April 25, 2006

I know why Tim Armstong's label signed Time Again: They love Rancid. The trouble is, I'm not a big fan of Rancid, so why would I want to listen to band with Rancid stamped all over them? Well, for one thing, I saw them live and their performance was inspired. For another thing, I'm not sure why I don't really care for Rancid. Generally, the music is actually well above average (and sometimes even excellent). While The Stories are True isn't all that original, it is consistently good with a few moments that really shine.

When I saw them live, the Rancid sound didn't come across. They sounded more like a hardcore band with some more melodic parts. They certainly tend toward harder stuff than Rancid, but not to the extent that the influence isn't completely clear. By and large, the album is full of solid punk rock with the regular punk lyrical cliches about the alienation, strength, the scene, etc, etc. The first few tracks are fairly common fare, but as the album moves along, a many songs do stand out nonetheless. "Broken Bodies" has a great sing-along chorus. The title track is a catchy punk ballad that you just want to believe. "Cold Concrete" is more catchy, high-energy punk that really doesn't get old. The breakneck pace of "Lost in Hollywood" and "Criminal" both have a decided 80s LA punk appeal. "Fallen Nation" keeps the pace up with a bit more melody and a positive, albeit unoriginal, message. More than the rest of the album, "Kenny" and "Life on the Run" make me wonder if they were written by Armstrong & company. The album's finish isn't a big surprise either: a punk/ska tune about a dead prostitute.

The problem with Time Again isn't that they aren't good, it's just that they aren't particularly special. I think that's what I don't like about Rancid also. They're both better than average, but they don't consistently do anything new. The thing with punk though is that your heart alone can make you special and, especially after seeing them live, I think that might be Time Again's strength.

Rating: 5/10

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ezra said...

You know, I'm like capt. punk rock and shit, but I've always kinda hated Rancid. It's not like they are terrible, but I just don't get it. It's like, " What's so great about this? I already have all the music of both The Clash and Operation Ivy! Why do I need this?!?!?"

5:27 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Then you don't need the EP, Bob, because it's the same structure. I was wondering if the album did away with less Rancid than the EP. I enjoyed the EP overall, but you and Count are right about Rancid; why they're looked upon as gods, I don't know. Disciples are more accurate.

11:30 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I think I always felt like Rancid must spend an awful lot of time looking like punks that they might not have time to be punks. Like you guys say, they really aren't that special. They've written a couple really good songs, most notably "Salvation," but their overall catalog isn't anything new.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home