Sunday, January 06, 2008

DVD: Blackmore's Night - Paris Moon


Label: Steamhammer

Released: November 6, 2007

At its very best, this DVD hints at Spinal Tap's "Stonehenge." Of course, that's the last thing Blackmore and company were going for, because they actually take this stuff seriously. Sure, he could get away with this kind of fantasy crap when Ronnie James Dio sang with him, but Candice Night is no Dio and the music makes breeze rock look like speedmetal. Night comes out looking like a young Stevie Nicks, but her sappy demeanor coupled with the dull, overwrought songs quickly dispels that illusion. Night isn't a strong singer by a long shot and while the others seem to be entirely competent players, they are no more interesting. I think Blackmore's Night would like us to believe that they've wedded renaissance music with rock, but if that is in fact their goal, they're sorely lacking on the rock end of that marriage. This makes pretentious nonsense like the Trans Siberian Orchestra look like real rock n roll. I guess I should have seen it coming when the package looked like the Lord of the Rings special edition DVDs!

Rating: 2/10

Just as a funny aside, Candice Night made an appearance at the Spoutwood Farm Fairie Festival in 2007. I've taken my kids to this thing and it's basically like a Star Trek convention for fairie fanatics. Yep, people over the age of 10 dressed like fairies and wizards and trees and other goofy stuff. If that's your thing, fine, but it certainly doesn't bode well for good rock n roll. Here's a silly video from the festival. Ms. Night makes an appearence about 3:15 into it.



Oh, one more thing. If someone would like a copy, I have one to give away. Contact me (there's a link in the menu to the left) if you're interested. First come, first served.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

I wasn't too big on this one either. Blackmore looked about as uncomfortable playing this as I was watching it.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candice is pretty annoying. It doesn't help us NYers that she hails from here, and it certainly doesn't add to Ritchie's already strange rep that he plays like this, although he is still very very good. I did hear a version of "Child In Time" on one of their albums and liked it.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

well, their Christmas album isn't bad.... I warned you, Bob; I told you this wasn't your cup of tea, but you didn't listen... I will say I was picking myself off the floor with your opening sentence

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home