Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Review: Man Raze - Surreal


Label: VH1 Classics

Released: June 3, 2008

A few months back, I heard a few pre-release tracks of this project which reunites Def Leppard's Phil Collen with former Girl bandmate Simon Laffy and brings in ex-Sex Pistol Paul Cook. The line-up certainly sounds like it could be flirting with disaster, but that preview raised my hopes that this would be a pretty good project. It mixed Collen's pre-AOR glam roots with a helping of punk rock swagger, removing the polish and safety that I would expect from any Def Leppard side-project. Sadly, the album in its entirety only delivers on that promise part of the time. Far too many songs stick to the regimented, overused AOR formula. The result is an inconsistent affair, occasionally delivering more than I'd hoped for, but usually being as dull as I'd feared.

Ratings
Satriani: 6/10
Zappa: 5/10
Dylan: 5/10
Aretha: 5/10
Overall: 5/10

Website

Myspace

If you're curious about my rating categories, read the description.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

I figured I would like this one more than most people.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

There were a few good songs, but a whole lot more bland ones unfortunately.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

only one Pistol could go pop rock (or pseudo anti-pop rock, if you will) with PIL

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home