Friday, June 20, 2008

Review: Shin Jin Rui - Zutiqua


Label: Ex Libris Records

Released: April 14, 2008

With a lot of bands, it's fairly easy to discern their influences and use those influences to describe the band's sound. I could try that with Shin Jin Rui. At times I hear Gang of Four and at others the Stooges. Sometimes the Fall, Syd-era Pink Floyd, the Velvet Underground, Ziggy-era Bowie. I hear the Kinks, Flipper, Meat Puppets and the Talking Heads. I even heard a hint of the Clash at one point. Do you get the picture yet? I didn't think so.

What Shin Jin Rui does on Zutiqua is draw on just about every raw and wild rock n roll influence of the last 40 or so years and roll it into their own brand of cacophony that is under constant threat of disintegration, yet always manages to hold itself together. The album walks that fine line between live energy and studio sound successfully and that's a considerable achievement. Most importantly, there is a madness that runs throughout. It's not a dark and brooding madness, but more of the likable, happy-go-lucky madness of the Cheshire Cat. I just hope Shin Jin Rui doesn't disappear.

Ratings
Satriani: 6/10
Zappa: 7/10
Dylan: 6/10
Aretha: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

Website

Myspace

If you're curious about my rating categories, read the description.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home