Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Review: The Mars Volta - Octohedron


Label: Warner Bros

Released: June 23, 2009

Straightforward. Subdued. Accessible. If Octohedron had been recorded by just about any other band, those words would never cross anyone's mind. However, the Mars Volta has pushed the boundaries of their music and their mania time and again, leaving the expectation that each album will be a further exploration of psychedelic insanity. This album explores to be sure, but in a different way than they have previously.

After the very, very quiet first minute and a half, the largely acoustic opening track, "Since We've Been Wrong," is practically radio-friendly. By the time they get around to "Cotopaxi," the first song to enlist their signature bazillion notes per measure approach, the album is in its back stretch. While the wide musical expanses and dabbling in free jazz is missing on Octohedron, the album is, in the end, more human. Their esoteric ramblings aren't altogether absent mind you, just significantly scaled back.

They have proven once again that their direction is as cryptic as Cedric's lyrics. Compared to most, they're still living in the prog rock ivory tower, but Octohedron reaches down and touches us in a way that is at once concrete yet fleeting.

You can pre-order the vinyl here.

Ratings
Satriani: 10/10
Zappa: 8/10
Dylan: 8/10
Aretha: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

Website

Myspace

If you're curious about my rating categories, read the description.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I posted a review as well, and it's very similar to yours. It's a very different album then what you would expect, but I think it's a welcomed departure. I know you are a big fan of their past two albums, and while I loved Amputechture, there was too much going on in Bedlam for me. I wish they could have just toned it down a notch, and not go this soft, but I still think it's an awesome album.

1:51 PM  
Blogger The Ripple Effect said...

Nice. I'm curious.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, I just bought this. I know we disagree on many a thing, including TMV, but I hope you're right. I'm actually dreading this.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home