Thursday, June 02, 2005

Review: Killing Joke - Ha

Label: Editions EG
Released: 1982

The near cacaphony of Killing Joke's music that seems to often be on the verge of being out of control would lead one to believe that they'd be a great live act to see, but a difficult live act to record. Never having seen them myself, Ha does nothing to diminish my belief in the former, but completely dispels my belief in the latter.

Recorded over two shows at Larry's Hideaway in Toronto in 1982, the set kicks off with "Psyche," a dark song that may be the band's strongest song after "The Wait." I say this without ever hearing a studio version if that's any indication of the quality of this recording. To the already dark atmosphere, they add the tribal rhythms of "Sun Goes Down" and on top of that they add a layer of dissonance in "The Pandys are Coming," almost as if the first side of the EP is a single piece seperated only by a bit of crowd noise.

The second side steps back a bit with the sparse (and otherwise unreleased) "Take Take Take." But that's just a set-up for the simultaneous throb and drone of the vaguely Joy Division-esque "Unspeakbale." They come full-circle as they finish up with the more straightforward yet still unsettling "Wardance."

This album escapes the trap that many live recordings fall into as they try to navigate between the Scilla and Charybdis of too live and not live enough. Ha completely captures the energy of an intense live performance without losing the clarity of the songs. It's such a good live recording, you can even listen in the car (but be careful you don't get too wrapped up in it and run off the road).

Note: The original 10" EP is long out of print, but it was included on a CD issue of Killing Joke's Fire Dances album. It appears that that may also be out of print, but I'm not sure. Either way, it'd probably be easier to find that than the 10".

Rating: 9/10

1 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Good review, man. I am totally hit or miss with live albums (mostly on the miss side) since I feel the live environment does the vibe justice properly, just as the recorded element does in its own right. It's so very difficult to muster excitement for recorded live material unless you have the visual aid.

I just reviewed the new Lamb of God live DVD, which was filmed at The Trocodero in Philly, which I've been to, and they were remarkably accurate but there was just enough rawness to keep it real, if you take my meaning. Plus, two of the LOG get into a nasty fight, which is all captured on film! Great DVD.

Another example is Iron Maiden. They're my favorite metal band of all time, but I've never bought any of their live albums except the first one, and it of course, had the video to accompany it. Maiden are so deadly accurate in their live translation it's a waste of money to buy the live recording unless you're seeing it too.

Anyway, after all of that nonsense, you actually have me interested in Ha. I still laugh that Killing Joke put out the synth-heavy Brighter Than a Thousand Suns and I still laugh that I think it's a pretty good album, despite it tawdriness!

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home