Thursday, August 18, 2005

Battle of the Bands (with a theme)

Here's a new twist on the old battle of the bands thing. Instead of picking two bands that are musically similar, I'm choosing two bands that have something in their names in common. Sometimes its a common theme, sometimes they're opposites, sometimes they just sound similar. It's not as serious an exercise perhaps, but it might be fun. It was certainly fun for Chuck and I to come up with the pairings. So give it a try and see what you think. We came up with thirty some of these, so I'll post some now and if it seems fun and generates some interest, I'll do more.

  • 2 Live Crew vs Motley Crue: It's the battle of the bad free speech advocates versus the bad free liquor advocates. While 2 Live Crew gets points for not killing anyone and then laughing about it, Motley Crue wins on the relative strength of their music, three good albums to zero. Crue beats Crew.
  • Pedro the Lion vs Def Leppard: While Pyromania was great commercial rock album, it was significantly the creative work of Mutt Lange. Pedro the Lion is also the creative work of one person, but he happens to be in the band. Lion beats Leppard.
  • Boston vs Chicago: Just like the cities of Boston and Chicago live in the shadow of New York, so the bands Boston and Chicago live in the shadows of the great bands of the 70s. Of course, while they're not New York, they're both a lot better than Baltimore! Chicago certainly sucked worse than Boston ever did by the mid-70s, but they also did some fairly interesting stuff early on. So, on the population scale and the battle of the bands, Chicago wins.
  • Asia vs Europe: Just as the world's future superpowers are in Asia, so to the good musicians in this battle are in Asia. There isn't anyone in Europe who can compete with John Wetton and Geoff Downes, let alone Steve Howe and Carl Palmer.
  • Public Image Ltd vs Public Enemy: Now this is a tough choice. I probably like PIL more, but I just can't argue with PE. If PIL represents real rebellion, then PE represents real revolution. Enemy beats Image.
  • Queen vs Prince: The Queen might be one step in front of the Prince in line for the throne, but the tables are turned for the artists. Queen was a great band, but even they didn't shake up the rock world like Prince.
  • Pink Floyd vs Pretty Boy Floyd: I thought this was a funny matchup, but I don't think I really need to say anything here. If you can't figure out who's better on your own, you're probably dumb enough to like Pretty Boy Floyd.
  • U2 vs UB40: UB40 had a few good singles, but...they were covers! On the other hand, U2 wrote songs worth covering. 2 beats B40.
  • Dusty Springfield vs Bruce Springsteen: This one is cool, because it's a great singer vs a great songwriter. Typically, the songwriter will win easily, but not here. It's awfully close. Springfield would win this one except...Springsteen did write the Nebraska album. Steen over Field.
  • Heaven vs Nirvana: The band who brought us "Rock School" versus the band who showed us what rock school might have looked like (in the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video). Nirvana is terribly overrated, but they'd have to be a lot more overrated not to beat out third (or fourth or maybe fifth) rate 80s hard rock. The Buddhists win this one.
  • Styx vs the Stones: Can Mick and Keith really compete with Dennis and Tommy? On a technical level, no way, but this is a great illustration of how technical ability doesn't measure up to passion and swagger. Granted this would be a tighter race if we're only looking at the last 25 years of Stones albums. Even Styx never sucked as bad as Steel Wheels after all. But Styx, for all their musicianship never even came close to the Stones output up through Exile on Main Street. Stones beat Styx.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Motley Crue over 2 Live crew.
They did have two good albums.

I have no clue who Pedro the lion is although it sounds likes a 50's cartoon character.

Boston over Chicago because they didn't put me to sleep and the first two albums were decent. Both might be better than London though.

Asia over Europe. It's decent commercial rock against sickening commercial rock.

Public Enemy over PIL

Queen over Prince
Prince never did much for me and Queen I can take in small doses.

Pink Floyd vs. Pretty Boy Floyd
Never heard Pretty Boy Floyd. I only remember that their biggest claim to fame was inspiring the band Ugly Kid Joe to take their name.

Nivana vs. Heaven
Nirvana
Maybe Heaven vs. Angel would be a little more fair with one being a second rate 70's band and the other second rate 80's band.

Styx vs. Stones
The Stones for sure, but could I take Broken Bones over both?

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 Live Crew vs Motley Crue: 2 Live Crew would have quickly and quietly disappeared from the musical map had Jack Thompson not chosen to use them as early scapegoats for his anti-obscenity crusade (a campaign for American decency that later targeted the band Body Count, the movie The Basketball Diaries, and the video game franchise Grand Theft Auto). Meanwhile, Motley Crue's music -- however vapid it may be -- became successful on its own merits. However, the members of 2 Live Crew deserve some credit for serving jail time in defense of free speech, while Motley Crue's jail time was served primarily for heinous offenses like vehicular homicide (30 days served by Vince Neil in the death of his friend Razzle) and domestic abuse (Tommy Lee's time for beating Pamela Anderson). My point? When you combine who they are with what they sound like, I don't particularly want to listen to either one. However, Shout at the Devil still stands up fairly well, and Tommy Lee just might be the best pop-metal drummer ever.

Pedro the Lion vs Def Leppard: For me, the transgressions of Def Leppard's post-1984 career completely outweigh any positive aspects of their Pyromania days. Even though I've never heard them, I choose Pedro the Lion, solely because they never uttered the words, "pour some sugar on me."

Boston vs Chicago: Wow, this is a tough one. Thanks to Ray, I've learned that Chicago wasn't always a schmaltzy romantipop crapfest. However, both bands embody second-rate, prog-rock-inspired self-indulgence, and I would rather sniff the secretions from my dogs' anal glands than listen to either of these musical atrocities. (Ick. See what happens when I get away from food analogies, Bob?)

Asia vs Europe: Asia, if only because I'd rather listen to second-rate, prog-rock-inspired self-indulgence than third-rate, prog-rock-inspired self-indulgence.

Public Image Ltd vs Public Enemy: Wow, this is the first really interesting match-up. Both bands were pretty great, and that means a lot coming from a guy who thinks the Sex Pistols were about as meaningful as 2 Live Crew. PE would have to win though, because they were revolutionary while PIL was merely awesome.

Queen vs Prince: How do you expect me to choose between the two most magnificently moustached muscle men of modern music? Both are wildly inconsistent, bouncing erratically between genius and garbage. Both have recorded the occasional masterpiece (A Night at the Opera, Innuendo, Purple Rain, Sign O' The Times) and the occasional stinker (Batman, Flash Gordon). I suppose if I had to choose, the timeless quality of Queen's music would edge out the often dated production of Prince's catalog. But that's a weak deciding factor, and frankly I'd rather put on a wife-beater, jump on a purple motorcycle, and ride into the sunset accompanied by the sounds of "The Show Must Go On" and "Starfish and Coffee".

Pink Floyd vs Pretty Boy Floyd: I would like to say Pretty Boy Floyd, just to be contrary. I would also like to have 120 million dollars. Neither seems to be happening.

U2 vs UB40: Let's see, Bob... does my band sound like a U2 knock-off or a UB40 knock-off?

Dusty Springfield vs Bruce Springsteen: Hmmm... The singer vs. the songwriter. Even though I don't particularly like The Boss, at his finest moments he was both an extraordinary singer and songwriter, while Dusty was never more than a great singer. I've gotta go with Bruce on this one.

Heaven vs Nirvana: One band was a voice for canned adolescent rebellion, the other was a steaming pile of self-absorbed, nihilistic shit. Even when I was an angst-filled Gen-Xer, I never bought into the hype around Nirvana. I'd rather listen to a lifetime of derivative cock-rock than have to sit through anymore self-piteous whining about how rough all of the poor underprivileged white American kids had it in the 90's.

Styx vs the Stones: (shhhh... don't tell Philip or Bob... I like the Stones more than Styx.)

11:17 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Motley Crue - Was a big fan back in the day.

Def Leppard - I am sure that there is some way out there artisic reason to pick Pedro the Lion (dumb name by the way), but no can do. Even though I think their new stuff is very lame, Def Leppard is a sentimental favorite.

Boston (if forced to pick) - I really dislike both groups, but at least Boston can rock, even if it is just a little.

Asia - Asia was actually a pretty cool band. They were a bunch of really talented guys. Steve Howe of YES is a very good guitarist (have seen him live) and you can't go wrong with Carl Palmer either.

PIL - I have to play ignorant and pick PIL, only because I know them just a bit better. I am ignorant when it comes to rap.

Queen & Prince - On this one, I have to go with a tie. I will qualify and say that this is only a tie based on Queen's entire body of work vs. Princes earlier stuff.

Pink Floyd - This was no contest, because I have no idea who the heck Pretty Boy Floyd is. I will say that they would have very little chance against Pink Floyd in my book. I did go and read about PBF on allmusic.com and it appears from their bio that I made the right decision. Besides Pink Floyd is in my top 5 favorite bands.

U2 - Other than Red Red Wine, I know no other UB40 songs. I do think that U2 will be remembered as one of the best bands of their time. I also feel that they continue to put out good music and that is more than I can say for other bands (Rolling Stones) who have been putting out music for more than 20 years.

Dusty Springfield - I have to go with her, becuase I despise Bruce Springsteen. I know you keep telling me that he is so talented, but I just don't get it. When I think of Springsteen fans, I get this image of these 30 and 40 something people thinking that they are sooooo cool, because they can still rock, but you know what they are lame and OLD. I love the song "Son of a Preacher Man." Dusty sings with the soul of Aretha Franklin. By the way, the only time I have ever heard the song was on the "Pulp Fiction" soundtrack, which is probably one of the best movie soundtracks of all time (I also like the "Less Than Zero" soundtrack).

Nirvana - Even though I think their success is overstated, I do think that they had some pretty good songs. I will say that if Kurt Cobain had not died, we may not have continued to hear so much about the group. As for Heaven, who the hell are they!?!?!?!?

Stones - Not a big fan of Styx, but they are not completely horrible. I like the Rolling Stones earlier stuff. "Sympathy for the Devil" is an awesome song!

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

# 2 Live Crew vs Motley Crue:
I think both bands are full of ignorant cheeseballs, but I'd have to agree that the Crue win out here.

# Pedro the Lion vs Def Leppard:
I wish I knew who Pedro the Lion was, because I'd probably pick them. As it is, I have to let nostalgia lead me in picking Def Leppard.

# Boston vs Chicago:
Ugh, Chicago is teh suck. Boston isn't good, but they're better than Chicago. Peter Cetera needs a punch in the face.

# Asia vs Europe:
Also deserving of a punch in the face - Europe. I'm correct in assuming they're the ones responsible for "The Final Countdown", right? Forget the punch, I think death might be too good for these losers. Asia wins easily, as Europe is still stuck in the gates.

# Public Image Ltd vs Public Enemy:
A tough call indeed. I think I agree with what's been said previosuly that PE just had so much more of an effect on music and culture. "Anger is an energy" just doesn't compare to "Fuck the police".

# Queen vs Prince: I love both Queen and Prince. But I have to give it to Queen, because Freddy would never have gone all born-again and refuse to play the dirty stuff.

# Pink Floyd vs Pretty Boy Floyd:
Count me as yet another person that doesn't know who Pretty Boy Floyd is. Even if I did, I know it would be no contest. You cannot question the brilliance that is Dark Side of the Moon.

# U2 vs UB40:
I don't know that "Red, Red Wine" even qualifies UB40 to go up against U2.

# Dusty Springfield vs Bruce Springsteen:
I hate to admit it, but I'd have to pick Bruce as well. As much as I hate the whole "The Boss" attitude, I can't deny that he's got some awesome songs.

# Heaven vs Nirvana:
And who is Heaven? Wasn't there some cheesy band in the 80s called Heaven 17 or something? Are these 2 different bands? Yeah, I'm sick of Nirvana too, but Nevermind was a great album.

# Styx vs Stones:
Dude, Styx is LAME. The Stones may be lame now, but they rocked in their day. Styx never rocked.

3:41 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I agree with most of the votes so far. Here are a few more to add to the mix (with, in my mind, clear winners for each):

L.A. Guns vs. Guns 'N' Roses

Genesis vs. Exodus

Jackyl vs. Wolf

David Lee Roth vs. Geddy Lee vs. Jake E. Lee

White Lion vs. Great White vs. Whitesnake


-- david (vs. dave vs. d.a.)

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home