Sunday, April 15, 2007

Peel Sessions

Back in the mid to late 80s, Strange Fruit Records released a series (or three) of EPs that were actual sessions from John Peel's radio show on the BBC's Radio One. I bought some at the time and I've always loved listening to them. They have a lot of raw energy that likely comes from essentially playing live for someone of John Peel's stature (let's face it, he witnessed a lot of rock n roll history in his studio). But the controlled environment ensures a quality recording. In some cases, I can really hear how tight some of these bands really were, knowing that these tracks were a single take with no post-recording magic. If you're interested in the EPs, check out my Peel Sessions page for a list with recording and track info. I'm hoping to review the ones I have (and the new ones I buy) over time (probably in batches). My track record for posting isn't that great, so we'll see how it goes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

I am sure that I will see a somewhat steady steam of Peel Sessions landing on our doorstep.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

HAHAHAHAHA, good one, Linda!

I always think of The Damned's "New Rose" and the breakdown section where he goes "Eat Your Heart Out, John Peel!"

I forget who I used to have on the Peel Sessions. It was great, whatever it was.

10:01 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I'm up to 19 now plus 2 more that I bought but haven't arrived. There are two others on ebay that I have my eye on as well. That would make 23 which is 1/3 of the releases in those first three series.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

How daft can I be? I had The Damned Peel Sessions. Jesus. Keep going, Bob! Linda's going to call me that little devil on your shoulder.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home