Friday, June 15, 2007

Album Track: Ian Hunter - "Standin' in My Light"

Album: You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic (1979)

Ian Hunter is best known as the singer for Mott the Hoople, but he's also released a number of fine solo albums, not the least of which is You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic. There's a largely forgotten tune on side two called "Standin' in My Light." It starts off with subtle organ in the background and Hunter's raspy vocals. As it progresses, acoustic guitar and a high-hat come in. Next is a bit of understated lead guitar and then finally, the whole band. A lot of songs do the same thing, only they do it much quicker to get to the meat of the song. Hunter and company take their time though, using nearly all of the song's four and a half minutes. Only the last 30 seconds or so returns to the sparse beginnings before fading. The build up isn't part of the song, it is the song. What's also interesting and adds to it's emotional appeal is how this bitter song has a distinctly gospel feel.

You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic is a pretty good album, but "Standin' in My Light" is the one song that really stands out. Yet it wasn't a single, doesn't get any radio play and has never had a high-profile cover like another of Hunter's songs.

Hunter also performs this on his 1980 live set, Welcome to the Club, which is worth checking out.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

In no way an unforgotten tune in this house Bob! A fine track and as you say a high point of a pretty fine album. Cleveland Rocks and Bastard are good cuts as well and it's an album well worth tracking down.

I first bought it for pennies, on cassette, from a local exchange and mart simply because I liked the albums title. What a discovery!

Bill

8:52 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Bill - I thought if anyone would know this one, it'd be you! Ian Hunter's done some good stuff over the years, but I don't think a lot of people really know him, at least over here. I just picked up a copy of Mott on vinyl today for $2. A local record store chain had used CDs and LPs buy one get one free. Can't beat that.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Guilty! I don't really think he gets the credit he deserves over here either. To get Mott for $2 is a hell of bargain too.

btw what do you think of Mick Ronson's debut album. I've just received it for a review for another site I write for and can't say I'm impressed... Only After Dark is a great track but there is a lot of jazz-rock noodling and strange experimentation that doesn't sit well with me.

Shame cos after Bowie he was well set for solo fame.

6:33 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I haven't heard that Mick Ronson. I checked Rhapsody, but no luck. Based on your comment, it doesn't sound like I ought to track it down.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home