Sunday, January 06, 2008

Review: Rainbow - Rising

After writing that Blackmore's Night review, I had to post something as a reminder that Richie Blackmore wasn't always pathetic. I guess knowing that he once did some great stuff makes his sad attempt at bring the renaissance to rock even worse.


Label: Polydor

Released: 1976

Any disappointment that Deep Purple fans must have felt when Richie Blackmore departed in 1973 not alleviated by Rainbow's debut should surely have been dispelled by Rising. It has all the power of Deep Purple while recapturing a leaner, more agile sound that was absent from Purple for some time. While David Coverdale was a fine singer, it was really Ian Gillan's shoes that Ronnie James Dio would have to fill and fill them he did. Blackmore and company's second album bridges the gap between prog rock and heavy metal in a way that would later be pursued and perfected by Iron Maiden. The music is technically superior to most of Rainbow's peers, yet maintains an energy level that challenges all but the rawest rock n roll of its time.

Rating: 8/10

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

I agree, Richie WAS good back in the day but now that he hooked up with that weird chick....ick.

Good review :)

12:47 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Simply a classic album that should be in every rock music collection. As good today as it's ever sounded and the major reason perhaps why everyone is so bemused by his current direction.

The DVD review certainly isn't the first poor score I've read for it and to be honest, after checking the first Blackmore's Night album I've kept well away!

3:35 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Barbara - Just think what he might be doing if he was dating someone who liked rock n roll!

Bill - I agree. It's certainly close to being on par with Deep Purple's best stuff and that makes it pretty much a must have. I put this one up with you in mind since you said our paths crossed less often. I figured they would indeed cross with Rainbow though. I would definitely avoid the DVD. it's silly.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was actually my first Rainbow album. I heard "Tarot Woman" and was hooked. Then I got everything else and was mighty bummed. Not that they were produced terrible stuff besides this, but this is their opus, if Rainbow can be considered to be eligible for one.

10:03 AM  
Blogger José Carlos Santos said...

That's the only Rainbow album I own, which speaks for itself. :)

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home