Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Review: Bruce Springsteen - Magic


Label: Columbia

Released: October 2, 2007

It's been a long time since Springsteen has released a truly good album. Granted, he did a nice job with the Pete Seeger covers, but his own material has been dull and decidedly adult-oriented. Magic isn't a full return to rock form, but it is a step in the right direction.

From the opening guitar riff and driving drums of "Radio Nowhere," it's clear that Springsteen has at least written a rock record rather than another lackluster attempt to recapture the stripped down authenticity of Nebraska. Even slower tracks like "Your Own Worst Enemy" and "Girls in Their Summer Clothes" have a big sound with all the trappings of songs that translate well in concert. He does misfire a bit on the title track which falls back into the limp attempt at being understated that characterized albums like Devils and Dust. All in all though, Springsteen has finally released a new album that shows he can write arena-sized songs that appeal to listeners on a personal level, something he hasn't done in almost 25 years. It also seems clear that he wrote this record with live performances in mind. He's tried for years to translate coffee house music to the big stage and failed on both levels. Fans who catch this tour are likely to find that he once again succeeds to connect with a large audience.

Rating: 6/10

Website

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I was never really a Bruce fan despite being from NJ. I've had the opportunity to work at a number of his shows which are definitely a great experience, but for some reason his music doesn't do it for me.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

JEFF!!!! I can't believe you said that but I love you anyhow since you have decidely good taste in all other music.

Bob - 6 out of 10????? I think you did a good job of reviewing this. I mean that sincerely. I am far too biased to review Bruce. I gave it a 9 before hearing it and now that I've heard it, I give it a 10. This is going to be an INSANELY EXCELLENT CONCERT!

I am going to link here.

10:00 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Jeff - It took me a long time to appreciate Springsteen. I liked Born in the USA when it came out, but I was 13 when it came out. When I discovered metal and then punk, I kind of rebelled against Springsteen (especially in light of Reagan using the song in his campaign in '84). It took a long time for me to come back around. It was actually Nebraska, his least typical album, that got me interested again, so maybe that's a good one to try.

Barbara - Since you're a Springsteen fanatic, I can see why you were exceedingly pleased with this album. While he does have a few potential 10s in his catalog, I don't think this is quite in that league. I really do think he wrote this with concerts in mind and I hope it shows when you see him.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home