Tuesday, March 29, 2005

...And You'll Know Us By the Trail of Dead

The new And You'll Know Us By the Trail of Dead album, Worlds Apart, is pretty much incredible. The first track came on and it was like a post-hardcore Queen. The following track was more like straightforward emo and I started thinking that this might be a transitional album where they try some new things, but aren't quite ready to fly. It piqued my interest, but I wasn't prepared for what followed. The album proceeds to unleash travels down many different musical roads that nonetheless lead to one rather ambitious destination. Over the course of the album, they touch on piano pieces, classical, emo, post-hardcore, rootsy punk and others. Even the more mainstream songs have subtley quirky rhythms or peculiar instrumentations with strings and even timpani (it sure sounded like kettledrums) that make this album big, like arena big without compromising it's hardcore roots. While Mars Volta moved beyond post-hardcore (does that make them post-post-hardcore?) into prog (progcore as Chuck astutely observed), And You'll Know Us By the Trail of Dead simply takes the post-hardcore thing they'd done well previously and makes it big and expansive. There's no compromise here, just an expansion of boundaries.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Consider me the next convert to these guys. After Bob hipped me to them, I picked up both Source Tags and Codes and Worlds Apart and indeed the transition between the two albums is jaw-dropping.

While Source Tags is wonderful in its own right, kind of laying the groundwork for what comes later with this band, it's Worlds Apart that substantiates what you say here, Bob. I totally sometimes forget Queen and I hear it now that you point it out. I also hear splashes of The Beatles and Dylan and oodles of Oasis.

Progcore? Hmmm... Maybe. I'm astonished to find them in the punk section, and it's probably because they're so very talented at what they do with the influences they bring to the table there's nowhere else to put them!

I frequently muttered "Holy shit" while listening to Worlds Apart on the way in this morning. I'm really stunned by the talent levels of so many of these bands that are cropping up...many of which you can find on Bob's Missed Hits compilations.

Nice pick, dude, glad you turned me onto them.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home