Sunday, June 05, 2005

The saddest song...

There are plenty of sad, sad songs out there. "Eleanor Rigby" has its title character who "keeps a smile in a jar by the door" and Father McKenzie who writes the "words to a sermon that no one will hear." "Jane Says" has Jane who doesn't know what love is, but only knows "if someone wants her." "Wish You Were Here" has its "two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year." "I Am a Rock" has the cold solitude of a "freshly-fallen, silent shroud of snow." I could go on and on with the genuinely sad songs out there without even touching on the ones that want to be sad, but can't pull it off. But over the weekend, I listened to one I'd heard so many times before and just now realized it had them all beat.

The Violent Femmes' "Country Death Song" might be the saddest song ever recorded. It might be so based just on the story it tells, a story of a man so crazy with poverty and desperation that he murders his family, not in a fit of rage, but in a patient and in a sense almost gentle way. What really gets me though is the delivery. Most songs have their haunting minors or strained vocals or maddening dissonance to convey grief, but the Femmes take things a step further. In their peculiar hybrid of punk rock and hillbilly gospel, they manage to conjure up something on par with snake-handling fundamentalists, stirred into a mad frenzy that is both righteous and terrifying. And in doing so, they show this poor, poor man as both the fragile father and husband and as the vicious monster that he was. Other songs have loneliness and loss and confusion, but I can't think of another that has good and evil doing doing battle inside someone like this. No other song has a man destroying his family with their own trust in him as he leads them to that dark well into which he will push them, a well whose darkness is only exceeded by the darkness eclipsing his soul.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Management said...

For the longest time I couldn't listen to the Country Death Song. Just couldn't. It's too successful as a song.

Otter

11:56 PM  
Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

Okay . . . so it's saddest because of both the story and delivery? I have to get a copy and listen for myself.

When I read the title of your post, it made me think of a song on Annie Lennox's latest album, "Bare," which I think is, by far, her greatest collection of songs to date. I am, by NO means, a music expert, but I know what I like (whether it's shit to others or not). I have always liked Annie Lennox's voice, but this album is, undoubtedly, her masterwork. She's very open about the theme of the album reflecting where she is in her life, and the lyrics of many of the songs are clearly devastating. She actually has a song entitled, "The Saddest Song I've Got," which is pretty darned sad. Not sad like what you describe in "Country Death Song," of course, but sad . . .

But it's her last song, called "Oh God (prayer)," that kills me:

Oh God...
Where are you now?
And what you gonna do
About the mess I've made
If there was ever a soul to save
It must be me
It must be me

Dear god...
Oh how can I survive?
Will I make this drop this dive?
When it all comes to this
I'm looking down at the abyss
Where you don't exist
You don't exist

but if you hear me
If you can see me...
I know I can't be that strong
'Cause everything I ever did went wrong
Everything I ever did went wrong

Oh god
Now where do I come in?
Gone and broken everything
So I hope you'll understand
if someone needed a helping hand
It must be now
It must be now

11:23 AM  
Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

Okay . . . I went out and read the lyrics and I listened to the song. You know I don't say this very often, but, you are right.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

You and I once discussed back in the day how "Sometimes it Snows in April" by Prince as being one of the sadddest tunes of all-time. I still stand by it.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't think of many sad songs, but the one that comes to mind first is "house of pain" by faster pussycat, just my opinion, thanks.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home