Monday, June 18, 2007

Attention Punk Rock Historians

I found this online archive of old issues of Maximum Rock n Roll and Flipside all in PDF format. Now I know what I'll be reading for awhile. You know, I was checking out issue #1 of Flipside and reading their reviews of the brand new Clash self-titled LP and the Jam's In the City and it's amazing punk ever went anywhere. They're barely literate! Still it's pretty amazing that anyone could get a zine going and distributed to anyone in 1977. It's not like today where we can all play rock journalist on the internet. These guys had to do the interviews, write the reviews and articles, type it up, photocopy it and then get it out to people somehow. They must have survived on sheer DIY determination (or maybe just boredom). I guess that's why punk stuck around after all.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I'm not a huge punk fan but I do like a lot of the classics like The Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, Sex Pistols, The Clash, and The Ramones. I'll check this out when I get home from work.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

What a great find! I am going to check it out. I remember 1977 :)

Hey, I can tell you how I get promo materials to review...email me.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Oohhhh, I am so envious of the Bad Brains interviewer! HR gave him a spiritual trip even in the midst of mary jane haze. Wow. I should've put them on my list of "Wish I'd interviewed" during my own interview. I put in a lot of requests and got no response ever. Lucky guy.

9:19 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I think you'll all find something of interest. Compared to today, these kids had a tough time getting their stuff out, yet they did and it has flourished for thirty years.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home