Friday, July 17, 2009

Review: The Reptilian - Boys' Life


Label: Count Your Lucky Stars

Released: March 3, 2009

Any post-hardcore album worth its grooves (or bits and bytes as the case may be) ought to make one think of Fugazi, right? Well, this EP from Kalamazoo, Michigan's The Reptillian reminds me of...well...Cake. Yeah, the quirky, jazzy, hipper-than-thou hipsters of the 90s. Now, don't get me wrong though. The Reptilian doesn't compromise intensity for cleverness by a long shot. Instead, they enfilade the listener with quirkiness while rolling forward with a full-frontal, post-hardcore assault. Do you think a song titled, "I'll Ram My Ovipositor Down Your Throat And Lay My Eggs In Your Chest But, I'm Not An Alien!" sounds crazy? Wait 'til you hear it. Yeah, it's that good.

Ratings
Satriani: 7/10
Zappa: 7/10
Dylan: 7/10
Aretha: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

Myspace

If you're curious about my rating categories, read the description.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home