Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I've Heard It Before (Don't Wanna Hear It Again)

While I don't think Black Flag had derivitive music in mind when they wrote that line, the rage easily be applied. Chuck recently asked me to listen to a few tracks off of Anberlin's Blueprints for the Black Market. Having little background in punk and emo, he wasn't sure if it was really good (just like I'm usually not sure if a particular techno album that sounds good to me is actually good). I, on the other hand, was sure. It sucked. It didn't suck because it was utterly awful. It sucked because it was utterly average. Perhaps if I'd heard Anberlin five years ago, I could stomach them, but not now after a seemingly interminable parade of emo pretenders. Even their positivity (I read about it, because I couldn't get through enough of them to discover it for myself), couldn't save them. Positivity is usually worth a few points in my book, but it wasn't working for Anberlin. Emo was a great idea as a reaction to the stupid machismo of 80s hardcore. It was cool that bands could write misfit songs that didn't revolve around hate and simpleton anger. But by the time Anberlin got to emo, it was just a structure within which a band could be sappy and maudlin and sell it as honesty. It almost makes me miss the old days of macho stupidity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Emo is a demographic instead of a movement. Save for maybe Armor for Sleep and a few others who use the medium to do something meaningful, Emo is a cash cow whose flow cycle has maybe a year left.

I will recycle something I mentioned about liking the emo band Emery when I saw them, but their studio album was rather lifeless and stale and it's made my deprioritize them as far as chasing them down for an inteview. My 15 year-old-neighbor across the street loves them. Maybe that tells us what we need to know. Her brother is 20 and likes diverse stuff but is usually seen wearing a Hawthorne Heights hoodie. I samples HH at the music store...no different than anyone else.

Coheed and Cambria has opened the door on this form and in rush the clones...

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home